Monday, June 17, 2013

Last semester - aka.I made it!

Last semester was by far the hardest time in my life so far. And, that's not being dramatic either. I took the notoriously hardest epidemiology methods course, took a very time-consuming grant writing class, studied for my qualifying exam (that was super duper stressful), had to leave the house at 6:45am two days out of the week, all while trying to keep up with the housework, cook dinners, love on a 4 year old and a 2 year old, be a pastor's wife, and spend time with the hubs. To say it was hard and exhausting and stressful is the truth. I made it though. Barely, but we made it.

This was what the kitchen looked like many days, evenings, nights, and early mornings. I wish I could say that I had wonderful, healthy meals every night and I constructed an awe-inspiring lego tower every night during quality time with the kids. I wish I could say I was never short with my husband or always had enough time to spend quality time with him. I wish I could say I was happy and lovable and always took a shower. I wish I could say I didn't give my kids goldfish in the morning or ate two granola bars for lunch. But, I can't.

The truth is most of the time I was just simply trying to stay afloat. I was trying not to drown in the responsibilities of home and life and work and love. Not to mention Mike's job and what all of that entails. But, we made it. And in the midst of it, this little gal learned to read. Maybe it's because she saw me doing it alot?


And this little guy can count to 10. Maybe it's because he sat in my lap while I did a lot of my homework?

He can say lots of words - one of them is epidemiologists...And he makes a great artist while I'm working on studying for the qualifying exam.

On a particularly hard day when I was not on top of my game (let's be honest, that happened a lot), I was cleaning out my backpack. And, I found all of these treasures from Bella. I usually pack her bag in the morning and she decided to return the favor. Finding these special treasures brought out all of the tears that have been stuffed in. And, I was thankful for this sweet reminder. I carried the folder in my bag the rest of the semester.

On another stressful day I came home and went directly out for a run. This little gal put on her running clothes and went with me. She held my hand the whole time and pumped her other hand as hard as she could. Again, we made it another day and test and homework assignment. Together.

I was studying for my qualifying exam (see a recurring theme?) one Sunday afternoon on the porch when my little man got a hold of my book and colored. I actually love it! Again, it was a reminder to keep going.

One night I was studying right before Bella was going to bed. She decided to work too and brought in her chair, her colors, and book of numbers to work on. We sat there together in working silently for about 30 minutes. It was adorable and again a wonderful reminder of what's important.

So, we made it. Not perfectly or pretty or with 100s on assignments (or even 90 for that matter). But we did it. At the end of the day, the house didn't burn down, the kids are healthy (despite peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner again...), my hubs and I hung on to eachother and grew in love and dedication with eachother, and I passed my qualifying exam. Can I get a halleluyer! So, this is not a pretty post. Or a post that has a nice bow at the end. I simply made it. We made it. The Smith Family made it last semester. This post doesn't have a nice ending. But it does have pictures that are reminders of the grace that was needed at each moment of the journey. I'm glad it's over! Now, time to play for the summer.

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

Congratulations! Praise the Lord. There's a reason why the Bible is full of imperfect people and their imperfect stories... because we need reality, struggles and grasping for grace to relate to. Because that's real. And in that clawing and grasping is where we grow and flourish. It's always good to share what's real.
So happy for you! What's next?! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this, Emily! Those seasons are so exhausting! I am so glad you guys "made it" and I am confident that your kiddos never felt unloved in the process! Heck, you know they love a PB&J supper! Thanks for sharing so honestly. We all need to know that we aren't the only ones who feel like this! I know I do.