Saturday, May 21, 2011

Jonathan's Dedication

We had the privilege of dedicating Jonathan on Mother's day. And it was even a greater joy that my mom was here on that day too. We started the day with a homemade breakfast from Mike, presents, cards and roses. Thanks Mike for everything! Mother's Day was so special this year. Having lost a baby this past year, giving birth to another one and having preeclampsia made this year very special and more meaningful. During the service, Mike took Jonathan out since he was a little fussy so it was my mom and I sitting there. I don't think I heard most of the sermon because I was thinking how thankful I was for everything. I wanted to put my arm around my mom or have her hold me in her motherly-way but we made a promise we weren't going to do anything that would make us cry. And that would certainly send me over the edge since I was having a hard time not crying through the songs. ha! So, it was a special day to say the least.

The actual dedication was, uhm, eventful. All of the families lined up at the front of the church and Pastor Andy gave us our certificate. Also, at this point I dropped the pacifier. what? Pastor Andy picked it up and said, "Five minute rule right?". I quickly said no and the other mother's in the crowd laughed. Dropping the pacifier was a no-no as you'll find out in a minute.
Then the real fun started. Pastor Andy prayed for all the families which meant Bella would have to stand still for a little bit. Here's how the next few hours (well, minutes but it felt like hours) went:


Bella - Look daddy! People!
Daddy - Is she going to stay still?
Emily - Will Bella stay still? Why did I drop the pacifier? Jonathan, please stay quiet.
Jonathan - squirm, squirm, squirm.
Bella - I want to go up on stage. Look daddy! It's a piano and a guitar and microphones. Awesome! Look daddy! Come on daddy!
Daddy - Bella, we can't go on stage during the prayer time. Do you want to go to time-out?
Emily- Why did we drop that pacifier?
Jonathan - squirm, squirm, squirm. Cue fussing.
Bella - Look daddy! Come sit! Come play! Come run! Come on stage with me!
Daddy - Bella, we can't go on stage or up the steps.
Emily - Why did I drop the pacifier? Will my finger trick him?
Jonathan - WAAAAAAAAA!
Bella - Daddy, sit, daddy, sit, daddy, sit, daddy!
Mike - Let's pray.
Bella - Ok, i'll close my eyes for half a second. But i'm not letting go of your pant leg. Then let's play.
Emily- Bounce, bounce, bounce....shhh, Jonathan. Why did I drop the pacifier?
Jonathan - WAAAAAA!
Bella - Daddy, sit. Look daddy! Daddy! Hey daddy!
Mike - Are we on TV?
Emily - Trying to focus on the prayer. Why did I drop the pacifier? What's Bella doing?
Jonathan - squirm, WAAA, squirm, WAAAAA.
Bella - Sit, daddy, sit! Come play!
Daddy - Ok, i'll sit.
Emily - Jonathan, please don't cry. I'm sorry I dropped the pacifier.
Jonathan - WAAAAAAAA!
About this time, Mike had to hold Bella to keep her from going on stage. This ensued screams of "Daddy NO. Daddy NOO". You would have thought we took away all of her toys or refused to give her a cookie. ha!


So, we were that family at the front with the screaming toddler and screaming baby. Oh well. Makes a great story though!

This is the scene before we went up. Sweet, serene, cuddly. "This is going to go great", I thought. =) That was before my non-shy, independent, outgoing, funny, and musical daughter saw the instruments and the stage.
Little sweetie. Neena did a great job on her hair.
I love this picture.
This is Bella practicing her prayer that lasted half a second. Such a cutie! The other day I found her in her room with her bible open on the chair. She had her hands folded like this and was praying really intently. Don't you know that Jesus sits right down in front of her and listens and talks back. So sweet!
And, last but not least - our family of four on Mother's Day. 1000's "thank you's" are felt in my smile.

1 comment:

The Scotts said...

I'm sorry, I think Lewis started the while climbing up stairs thing.