Friday, July 24, 2009

I did it!!!

What you may ask? Let me take you back a couple of years before I tell you...

I love the Today Show! I enjoy stretching after my morning runs either watering the backyard (which is funny and a little challenging stretching while i'm holding a water hose) or watching Meredith, Matt, and Al. A perfect morning involves a good, long run and eating breakfast with the Today team. A couple of years ago I saw the mother of sextuplets talking about her 1 year old babies. She was telling Meredith about running a marathon to celebrate her kiddos first birthday. So, what did I do? I said in my head that one day I would do that when I have a child....when I had a child is the key word...when will that day be?

Fast forward a couple of years....
The setting is the morning of October 23rd, 2008 in my house. This blonde gal is 10 months PLUS 5 days pregnant and about to jump out of my skin in anticipation, excitement, nervousness and joy over the thought of seeing my firstborn within the next 24 hours. (Bella made her grand entrance 24 hours and 15 minutes later.) Where was I? Naturally, on a treadmill running 4.5 miles...yes, I know - crazy! But, y'all I was excited! What was I thinking as I remembered the Today Show super-mom? "Surely I can do a marathon post-25-extra-pounds-baby-body if I can do 4.5 miles at 10 months + 5 days pregnant".

Fast forward to now...
Well, that day is approaching of my child's first birthday and since i'm a goal-oriented-I-think-I-can kind-what-am-I-thinking kind of gal I signed up! I signed up for the Houston Marathon! Yes 26.2 blissful miles of running in downtown Houston through the fun music venues, screaming fans (ok, maybe not - I think i've watched Paula Radcliffe race too many times), "leisure" conversation with my sister, thinking of when I made this goal in my head many years ago, how I now have a precious child and...achy feet, possible Houston humidity, yucky carb-loaded GU, "what-was-I-thinking" and...wait, 26.2 miles???? Training 101 here we go! No, I won't be pushing Bella. (Although when I ran the half-marathon in South Carolina I was PASSED by a lady pushing a stroller - that's ok, no ego-hurt here).

What have we been doing? Bella and I have been practicing in HOT Central Texas.

Can you tell she's excited! On our long Wednesday morning run she cooed, screamed (in the good way), squealed, and blew bubbles the ENTIRE first 3 miles. Those sweet sounds made it difficult to run at a steady pace since I would laugh every time she would do her coo-scream-coo-laugh thing. I'm sure the other runners/walkers/bikers thought I had a really happy baby or were judging my mothering-skills thinking I was letting that sweet baby cry. It's not a cry. Just a loud "I'm-happy" scream. By the end of the trip we were BOTH tired! Wish me luck on the upcoming 26.2 miles! I'm sure the blog-world will more of my journey through the next few months of whey protein, soy milk, LOTS of stretching, long Saturday runs with Allison and the stroller-babe, and GU.

4 comments:

The Louders said...

Way to go, Emily!! I think that's awesome...loving the story already! Can't wait to hear the finale.
Bella, you are sooo stinkin cute!!
Run on, dear girls, run like you've never run before!

The Reeds said...

Awesome!! you will be my running inspiration!

I don't think I could ever aspire to a full marathon. I'm quite happy and challenged with the thought of the half in February! I will LOVE to hear how you're training process is going!!!!
:)

jarcarhar said...

Unlike sweet Georgia, you will not be my running inspiration...we all know I don't run...I don't even walk quickly! You will be, though, my get rid of the baby weight differently than I did with Jakob...which wasn't at all! :-) You are unbelievable! Go get it!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

All the best of luck with your journey!! thanks for stopping by my Blog.