Sunday, June 3, 2012

Look at how our garden grows

My little gal and I started a garden - with lots of daddy's help at the beginning!
Mike built me three raised beds for vegetable gardens behind our house where we get full sun most of the day.
Little Bella had to put on her "Mrs. Cathy" outfit to go help daddy.

Once the ground beneath the beds were dug out and filled by LOTS of work from Mike, we went out to plant the vegetables - some from seed and some from transplants.  She got a little bored while we were doing it and decided to serenade me as she stood up on the raised beds. I'm glad our neighbors don't mind hearing a little girl sing at the top of her lungs!

After a LONG day of planting, we finally finished.  Here's what are in the beds.

Small bed #1 (closest to wall): Green peppers, yellow peppers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots
Small bed #2: Lettuce, cabbage, radish, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes,  zipper peas
Large bed: Tomatoes, eggplant, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pole beans


Week 2 :
We have activity!  The zipper peas are coming in.  These are from seeds from my Granddaddy's farm in Lubbock, Texas.  I have some great memories of shelling peas with my cousins and grandmother while watching the "Wizard of Oz" or "Gone with the Wind" or the "Sound of Music".  We would shell peas all day long!  After he passed away my grandmother kept some of the seeds and gave them to me.  So, these are very special to me!
The radishes are sprouting.
More zipper peas.  Aren't they cool to watch!


Week 3:
More and more sprouts!  This is small bed #1.  The far left side are the zipper peas just a growin'.  The squashes are about to bloom and we have a really small green pepper coming up.


Small bed #2: The other squashes are growing, more radishes are coming in, and the cabbage is breaking through the ground.
Large bed #3: The middle of this bed contains the pole beans that were planted from seed. And they are already tall!  The sweet potatoes are looking good too.


This week we also made vegetable markers.  I printed off pictures of the vegetables we planted while my little helper painted them with watercolors.  Then we laminated them and put put them on stakes to put in the beds.
We put these in the beds that night and she was one proud little gal.  She is a greater helper in watering every day and watching to see what other plants come up from the ground. We will keep you posted!

No comments: