Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Moms to the rescue with a "mommy pill"

Whew! If I want to see how many readers I have I need to post another "I need encouragement" post! Y'all were awesome! I received great emails and phone calls and blog messages since Monday. I had to laugh at some of the stories from you other moms about your own "I don't know what i'm doing" moments. (By the way, the previous post was not meant to be a discourse on working vs stay at home moms. I work because I want to, not because I have to. And, whether we as moms are working outside of the home or inside of the home, being a mom is loving your kiddo - regardless of what you do during the day. A bloggy and real-life friend, Ashley, wrote a great post on this here. I'll say ditto to her great writing about it.) So, all in all. I'm much better. And, Mike has always been ok with my moments - aka. Mr. Steady! And, Bella is ok. And, we love that little thing to pieces. And, in the words of both grandmothers "She's just perfect".

Like I said previously, I received some great encouragement, advice, comedy relief from other moms who have been there or who are there with me. I'd like to share two emails I received from the great moms of the world. My Mom and Momma S (what I lovingly call Mike's mom). This post is not to bump up my self esteem or ask for more encouragement. or share how awesome my moms think of me. Just kidding. They are moms right...they have to love like that. (I'm just kidding again, Mom and Momma S...I know what y'all are saying to that.) I really want Bella to be able to read all of these thoughts (mine and her grandmothers) one day when she's older and know how much she is loved, even before she knew what love is. And, if she is ever a mom herself I want her to know "this is normal". And, to let her know that her grandmothers can be fiesty and encouraging at the same time! As my mom said, she was pounding the keys as she wrote her email. Bella certainly is loved! I also want to Bella to be confident in own skin, particularly as a woman....but, that's for another post altogether.

Without further adieu, I give you the moms to the rescue with their own "mommy pills".
Doesn't it mean so much when you receive good-mommy-pats from your own family?!

From my mom:
Hi honey,
sounds like you need a pat on the back and a good hug. You are a great mommy. There is no book on exactly when to do what--well there probably is, but there are as many opinions as there are experts. There is general knowledge, that seems to change from one generation to the next. But the thing to remember is that Bella is flourishing and happy. You have read to her, talked and laughed and smiled and surrounded her with love and family who adore her. She will learn sooo much from all of that. She will learn to be secure and feel loved from watching her parents love each other deeply. She will pee on the floor and all kinds of things that make great stories.
javascript:void(0)
If you need mommy time, call some of your friends for maybe a once-a-month gathering and visit. Talk to Kelli.

You are amazing in that you've integrated Bella into your life without even hitting a speed bump, (except a few small ones), but every mom does that. YOU are her mommy and you know what is best, and you learn as you go along about those things, like shots, eating, potty training, all of that. YOU ARE AMAZING! I am so proud of you. It was only ONE appointment and you haven't done anything wrong if that's how you came away feeling.

So, here's a mommy pill from your mom--I love you and am proud of you, and here's a hug.
lyl
mom


And, here's from Momma S (as I call her):

Hi Emily,

Just read the blog about nursing, whole milk, sippee cups, etc. I just have one thing to say about all of that – poooohhhhhh!

The ladies of the LaLeche league would say, nurse til they are 2 - 3yrs. or more! And there’s no time limit on learning how to use sippee cups.


Remember the saying

Cleaning and Scrubbing can wait til tomorrow

For Babies grow up, we learn to our sorrow

So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep

I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Those moments of holding little Bella taking her bottle are priceless. You don’t have to rush through them. Let her enjoy being a baby a little while longer and you enjoy it too. Time flies! Sippee cups will happen! Don’t compare yourself to other moms and don’t compare Bella to other little ones. Y’all are great!

Bella’s healthy. She has a mommy and daddy that love each other and her. Your home is overflowing with love and laughter. I think maybe the others need to look at your home/marriage/mothering/fathering and take notes!

Michael and Christie had bottles til they were at least 18 months old – maybe longer! I don’t think their development was delayed. J

So………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………take a deep breath, relax and enjoy these days.

You don’t need our approval but for the record, we couldn’t be more proud of you guys.

Love ya!

Momma s



Thanks Mom and Momma S! Onward we go - sippy cups, milk, zinc, pee-pee on the floor and all.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Emily! Congrats on finishing the marathon... I'm impressed! Thanks for posting about the "mommy pill"... I really needed to hear that. Hope all is well in Texas! Tell Allison "hello" for me!!!

Patti said...

This made me cry. You are so articulate and funny and awesome and amazing....uhhhh you get the point. Thank you for receiving the love Momma S and I heap on you. We've been there, done that.....so we may be speaking as biased mothers, but we ARE your mothers and we do know best. And you do too!!! love you mom

ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashley said...

I am just so stinkin proud of you! From one mom (who feels like she never knows if what she is doing is right) to another, you are doing an incredible job. I love that quote Mike's mom emailed you- I may have to steal it!!
Thanks for my shout out- you are an inspiration to me and I have always looked up to you, now in an even greater role as a mom! And for what it's worth, even though I know deep down it was time to quit nursing and I quit producing, I miss it terribly. I wish I would have gone back to pumping and fenugreek and all of that to produce more and make it until two years. So keep pumping and giving that girl what she wants! She will figure out a sippy cup eventually!
Love you girl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Doctors try to give you the best advise but it is not always the right advise. I would nurse until Bella is ready to stop or your ready to stop. My son stopped nursing at 11 months. As for the sippy cup we are still working with him every day. You are doing a great job for a first time mom. It is never easy my son is my second child and somedays I think it is harder with him than it was with my daughter. You will have up and down all the time as a parent just take each day at a time and you will be a great mom. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with Bella!!!