Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back in the Land of the Living

Awww, I feel like i'm back and keeping my fingers crossed that that statement is the truth! The crazy past two weeks started last Saturday when Bella threw up in her crib - grosss!! We were at my Grandmother's house in Lubbock for her 80th birthday party. All the family, minus Mike and Brad, was gathered to spend some quality celebratory time with the GRANDmother. However, I found Bella asleep in her throw up (poor kid, I didn't even hear her get sick). So, this momma had to clean it up, all of it, get her bathed again, and figure out what to do next. After calling Mike (a small breakdown moment ensued calling the hubster), I tried to tell myself it was too much to eat for breakfast. Alas, it wasn't. She seemed fine the rest of the day until later that night it happened again. Allison and I headed home the next morning and I spent the 6 hour drive doing what other moms probably do too - worrying. By this time, my mom and grandmother had gotten sick. And, over the next few days three of my aunts, my uncle, my cousin, Mike, my mother-in-law and myself got sick too. Susy came to help take care of Bella while Mike and I were both sick and she ended up getting the yucky bug at the end of the week. (Susy, by the way, was phenomenal! We are so thankful for her.)

So, here we are. 8 days later, 100's of loads of laundry (well, it felt like that), lots of Lysol, 11 pounds down for me, and too many crackers/toast/bread eaten - I think we are back to the land of the living. If anyone is sick at another family function i'm outta there! Nothing against my family. That sharing thing we all did was not fun at all! And, if Bella is ever sick again we're outta there. Thankfully, I think everyone is on the mend now too.

While I was out for a week I had a lot of time to think or try to think to get my mind off of being sick. I HATE this type of sickness. I will take bronchitis or a sinus infection any day over the stomach bug. I read a couple of books while I was sick and have been meaning to share my book reading list for 2010. It's one of my "2010 Resolutions" that i'm revealing in February. But, whatever. Better late than never, right? Here's the book list separated by genres. I currently have 15 books and would like to get to 20-25. Does anyone else have any good suggestions for books?

WORK:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Who Moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson

FUN:
Wuthering Heights
The Lacuna: A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver

HOME:
Second Nature by Michael Pollan
The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - I read this one and it was AWESOME!! One of my favorite books so far.

FAMILY:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Stephen Covey

REFLECTION/INSPIRATION:

Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder
Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich
Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof
Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore- I read this one this week and it was so good. But incredibly sad. It's one of those books that is inspiring in a bittersweet way. Great true story though!
Eleanor vs Ike: A Novel by Robin Gerber
Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson - If you have never read "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I'm looking forward to this book as the sequel to "Three Cups of Tea".
One in a Million by Priscilla Shirer

Here's our library at home with most of our books. Well, we have another bookshelf full too. And, we keep buying more. One of my dreams would be to have one of those libraries like in Beauty and the Beast...you know...the wrap around one with ladders and wall to wall books!


And, I leave you with our kiddo that looks like she is developing a liking for books like both her parents. Mike is taking a world religions class at Truett, hence the book Bella is reading is one of his textbooks.

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

Thanks for your back up!! I love all of the books. I don't read much during the school year so I don't have many suggestions...