Sunday, June 6, 2010

Everyone needs a Gayla

(Disclaimer: This post may or may not have brought the writer to tears - with the "ugly cry". Just a heads up for you mascara wearing women!)

Happy birthday to my bestess friend, Gayla.

You see - everyone needs a "Gayla". Let me tell you why.

Gayla, we have both told eachother how no words can express our appreciation and thankfulness and love for eachother...we just know. I am so thankful for that knowing. I miss hurrying to get to your house from school on Wednesdays before church - and drinking green tea while watching Oprah - then always complaining how we didn't have enough time to talk (even though we had just talked a solid 2-3 hours) - so, we would meet up at church and continue talking.

I love how I can truly be "Emily" with you - all of me. You are an easy place to lean into and be real and be loved. I read your framed letter you gave Mike and I when we left Sumter daily - because I hung it in my room! And, yes sometimes I break into crying while i'm drying my hair. I'm not kidding. My poor husband.

I miss going to Angels with our hubbies and talking the whole time through supper and continuing talking to the car.

I miss how one minute we are laughing hysterically about something crazy - probably a cat or "squassom" or whatever. Then the next minute we're both having one of our moments - me with the "ugly cry". You know. It's the one where my entire face scrunches up because i'm about to lose it. And then I do lose it. And the cry continues to not be pretty. But you cry too, although it's probably not an ugly cry. Just a deep cry of understanding. And what's really funny about those moments is we know it's coming. "ooohhh, here it comes". Then just lots of tears. Gayla, I think only you and I understand that. ha! After every phone conversation I have an "ugly cry" again. Fortunately Mike knows I was talking to you so he usually expects it.

Do you see a trend? It's talking. It's knowing. It's friendship. It's joy. It's loving. It's understanding. It's a gift from God that I can't fully express "thank yous" for. But I sure do try. Daily I try. So, Gayla the world needs more of you. And I am so thankful that I have you as a friend and sister.

PS: This little cutie wanted to say happy birthday too!

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

Emily (In reference to your comment), I feel the same way (not about Gayla, though I'm sure she is LOVELY!). In many ways it is the same race for all of us. I know we all will have different times and struggle with different parts.. but in the end we're all on the same path. It's no wonder fellowship is so precious since it is the narrow path and it can feel lonely at times.

Thanks for sharing YOUR heart so much also.

It's a really beautiful thing. :)