Saturday, April 10, 2010

Operation Square Foot Gardening!

Blog world, meet my favorite pot o'flowers. Beautiful pot o'flowers, meet my blog friends. This is a rare weekend. Bella is with the Houston grandparents. So, last night Mike and I went out to eat in Waco at Chuy's - yes, awesome - AND went to see a movie. We got home late for us parents at 10:30ish and even stayed up later after we went to Sonic for a shake. I don't think we stopped talking the whole time we were eating, the whole drive home, and while eating/drinking our shakes. It was such a great night! A special thanks to Susy and Tommy for this special time.

This is also a rare Saturday for me. Mike is in Waco ALL day long finishing up papers and studying. What is one word that comes to mind? Q.U.I.E.T. Don't get me wrong. I love hearing the laughs and cries and yes, sometimes whining of my sweet kiddo and I love chatting with my hubby. So, it's weird with how quiet it is here right now. What did I do? I hung out with the ittybittysmithy #2 who I think is quite comfy and growing great, evidenced by making the mommy feel sick. It comes to an end though - 6 more weeks, 6 more weeks. We woke up late - 7:45! woohoo! That's a record for me. We went on a slow, late run in the beautiful weather and then finished my book while sitting in the backyard. I just finished "Stones into Schools" which is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, book ever. I highly recommend it and should devote and entire blogpost to it. After finishing the book, we cleaned the house, did the laundry, made our weekly grocery run, fput up the laundry, cleaned/organized our closet, and then propped my feet up and watched the Masters. Glory! What else is left to do? Why blog of course! Bella comes back tomorrow and I know she is having a great time in Houston. I sure am ready to get my hands on that little thang and hug her to pieces. But, for now I will enjoy the quiet and clean house and TV watching and reading and every-once-in-a-while nausea (i'm trying to have a good attitude).

One of my goals for 2010 was to begin a vegetable/herb garden. A couple of weekends ago was accompanied by near perfect weather, especially in Central Texas where it gets way too HOT to be outside planting or outside doing anything. So, I went as happy as a lark (just ask the hubster) to Lowe's and Walmart and the nursery to buy seeds and transplants. And, I continued to be happy as a lark throughout the day (just ask the hubster)!


The start of the vegetable/herb garden has begun. I used the book "Square Foot Gardening" as my beginner tutorial and laid out my plan. Mike built the boxes, mixed the vermiculite/peat moss/compost for me, laid weed cloth, and filled the boxes with the garden mix. Awesome! Thanks babe. Then, he built the lattice work in 16 squares for both boxes. Again, thanks babe!

Then, it was off to plant. And of course, sweet Bella had to help. Are you seeing a theme in these last posts that she loves the outside? Woohoo! I'm starting her early. She helped carry the lettuce, cabbage, green pea, squash, radish, spinach, beet, yellow pepper, and red lettuce seeds. She also liked shaking them all like maracas or laying them all out like she was playing solitaire. Bella, you genius you. I planted them just like the book said. Remember, i'm a beginner and hoping for anything to grow! I was laughing while I was chatting with Mike and told him I was nervous about things "working". "What if things don't grow?" "What if nothing ever sprouts?" Hmm, maybe people have been doing this for centuries and it's been working?!? I went and checked on everything today and, glory be, things are sprouting and growing and changing. We also planted flowers and shrubs and lantana and potato vine and hostas and flowering annuals. "Here mom, i'll bring this to you." I think I bought every single potato vine Lowes had in stock. It is one of my favorite plants - that and hostas - love it!

I love this picture. We're both smiling at eachother and she's bringing a plant to me - sweet little helper.
And, here is the finished product. Most of the plants in the right box are from transplants and the plants in the left box are from seed. So far, we have tomatoes (large and Roma), spinach, green leaf lettuce, red lettuce, cabbage, spinach, yellow pepper, bell pepper, squash, beets, radishes, green peas, greek oregano, cilantro, thyme, basil, chives, and rosemary. The tomatoes are in the middle buckets.
And things are sprouting! woohoo! The harvest time for most of the veggies is in May or early June. So we'll have to wait a little longer to collect our loot. But, things are growing!
Here's a shot of the "transplant/herb" box.
Here's a shot for my dad - here's the rest of the yard. See how great the lantana and potato vine is growing? Our roses are also blooming...aww, spring. Thanks daddeo for helping me clear out the weeds, get the back yard ready for planting, and making all those trips to Lowes with me. Until next time, happy spring, happy vegetable gardening, and happy growing (Ittybittysmithy #2 - Happy Growing too!)

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

What a sweet post! We had a gorgeous garden in Kaabong and have been sad to not have a good square (ha) set aside just for veggies and all. Keep us "posted" on all your "growings"! (Did I just abuse the quotations??? )

Georgia

jarcarhar said...

Would you please come work in my yard? It is stunning, Emily! Happy Spring!!!