Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Surely, I have a beautiful inheritance" - Part 2

A few days ago I wrote Part 1 on this topic. You can catch up here if you want. And without further adieu, here's Part 2.


"Did God really say?" - said the sneaky snake. Bella calls the snake in the Garden of Eden the sneaky snake so I will too because, well, it's adorable y'all. Not the snake, the kid.

The first question from a big ole' liar is "Did God indeed say...". You probably all know the ending to the story. To summarize - it doesn't turn out well until a few years later when a little somethin' somethin' called Redemption and Savior popped in the world.

I think that question posed by the sneaky snake still gets us though. Did God indeed say to do this or that or go here or there or whatever? Did God really say He was trustworthy? Did God indeed say He was compassionate and gracious, abounding in steadfast love, slow to anger, and always forgiving? Did God really say He was enough, good to all, always there, and had a future?

That sneaky snake sneaks in, doesn't it? We hear those "indeeds" and "reallys" probably more than we realize and recognize. We also agree with those "indeeds" and "reallys" with, "Well, uhm, I thought He did but...". If you're like me you can probably fill in the sentence pretty easily.

And the sneaky snake begins to make us doubt little by little which turns into more doubt and frustration and more doubt and more frustration.

And then the critical-ness and cynicism and anger sets in. Especially for us momma's that can easily give way to frustration simply out of exhaustion or comparison to others or one-too-many-tantrums.

Y'all, go to Psalm 16:6 and see if a word flies off the page. Do you see it? It flew off the page when I was thinking about the sneaky snake one day.

"INDEED, I have a beautiful inheritance".

Wait, there's the word again.

Indeed.

But, such a different context, right? It's been a battleground word for me since I started recognizing the sneaky snake. So now when I heard, "Did God really (or indeed) say...", I can say "The lines are secure for me. He is my chosen portion and cup. Indeed I have a beautiful inheritance."

Perhaps we need to exchange the first indeed with the indeed we know to be true and trustworthy and faithful.

Yes, really, surely, indeed I have a beautiful inheritance!

No comments: