Sunday, January 5, 2014

Reading list June-December 2013

Y'all, I read a lot last year! Well, not all of last year. But after I finished the crazy-busy-and-ultra-stressful semester (remember that?), I went to town with books that I could read simply for pleasure - not to pass my classes or qualifying exam. And I read some great books. And a couple of doozies. So I thought I'd share my reading list since I'm sure you've all been wondering "hmm, what has Emily been reading?". Y'all know I'm a nerd. So is my hubs. We went to a bookstore on our first date...and I was smitten. Enjoy this list everyone and get reading!

1, 2, and 3: The Hunger Games trilogy

I saw the first movie and had a serious aversion to the storyline. It was appalling to me thinking about the killing children simply for pleasure for the rich of the capital. I was reading another book about child soilders in Africa so the story was a little too real for me. Part of the premise of the book involves people in the Capitol city watching the killings (they call them games) similar to watching a reality show. The audience oohed and awwed at the suspense and saw it as pleasure. I just felt like I was being a part of the "audience" when I wasn't doing enough to end child slavery or do my part to improving the world. Does it matter what kind of clothes we buy? Does it matter what I do with my time? Needless to say, it was more than book to me. I LOVED these books and have since read them all again.

4: Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp

I need to read this over and over. This is such a great, grace-filled book on parenting. It certainly reminds me to see my children differently and see their heart's through the lens of heaven.

5: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I am a huge fan of this author. However, this book did not hold up to his other books.

6: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandburg

There are so many things I love about this book! However, I felt she didn't talk enough about the emotional aspect of being a working mother. One day I hope to write a book about the aspect of 'leaning in'. I highly recommend for all women, regardless if you work outside of the home or not.

7: Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel

 My all time favorite parenting book. So good y'all! I don't have words to describe this book - it's just good!

8: The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

 I don't remember anything about this book. So I guess it wasn't too good. I remember liking it at the time...

9: Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity by David Allen

This is such a great read for us organizational types. Although I didn't implement all of his suggestions, I definitely use some of his tips in my school/work/home life.

10: The Origin of AIDS by Jacques Pepin

The author was coming to UNC for a lecture on the book so I figured I needed to read it. It was dense but such a great read, particularly if you have interests in global health, inequities, colonization (and the ramifications of said colonization), and/or AIDS. It's also hard to read at times but is compelling to continue in my studies.

11: Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

 THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this book! This book is like grace smashed into The Strong Willed Child by Dobson. Such a great book on understanding your spirited child, giving grace to that child, and helping nurture that child. It's not a christian book but still great nonetheless, especially when you couple it with Grace Based Parenting. Highly recommended for parents of hyper or strong willed (I mean SPIRITED) children.

12: Called Again: Love and Triumph on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis

 Oh my word - such a great book! This chick hikes the Appalachian Trail and documents her journey. It's such a great book for all of us on this spiritual journey with Jesus. She doesn't really talk about her spirituality but there are so many correlations with her own hike. Highly recommend it!

13: A Sudden Glory: God's Lavish Response to Your Ache for Something More by Sharon Jaynes

I read this book with a dear friend and loved it too! It's full of grace and transparency and tears at Starbucks.

14: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

 ANOTHER GREAT BOOK! I have added this to my Top 10 Favorite Book List Of All Times. It's full of redemption and grace and mercy. There are definitely parts that are so hard to read and I nearly stopped half-way through. But I'm so glad I kept going. I think every Christian should read this book.

15: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

 Mike and I both read this book and enjoyed it. It's pretty intriguing, scientifically and physiologically, looking at what we do and why we do it. This is a great book for everyone doing New Year's resolutions.

16: Global Soccer Mom: Changing the World is Easier Than You Think by Shayne Moore

 This wasn't my favorite book but I finished it in a few days. It's inspirational and a very easy read.

17: A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman by Lisa Shannon


 Ugh, ugh, ugh. Such a great book but so raw! This one ripped me up and down. But I think it's important to not become insulated to being comfortable in America and remember what others are going through. Then ask myself what is my role?

18: The Duggars: 20 and Counting, Raising One of America's Largest Families - How They Do It by Michelle Duggar

 Y'all, I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. I know they are not liked by everyone. But this is my #2 favorite parenting book at all time. I cried through most of it and felt like I became a better mother by it. She hammers into you how incredibly special children are and it's a great reminder when your days are spent scrubbing jelly off of the fireplace or picking cheerios out of the toaster.

19: A Love that Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make it Work by Michelle Duggar


 I loved this one too!

20: One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp

 I read this at the very beginning of the summer and it rocked me! I think it changed me so much to be thankful. Every. Single. Day.

21: What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms by Angie Smith

 This is a good, easy read. I love Angie Smith's work and this was refreshing as a woman and a mother.

22: Wonder Women: Sex, Power and the Quest for Perfections by Debora L Spar

And I just finished this one. This was such a GREAT book. It runs in the same category as the 'Lean In' book mentioned above. But she takes a wider view of working women. She talks a little more of the emotional aspect, which was refreshing, but still not enough.


Welp, there's my 6 month reading list. What have y'all been reading? Any good books for my 2014 list? 

Have a great day cozying up with a great book. Now, I'm off to write my own...or scrub jelly off my chairs.

-Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pursuing Justice by Ken Wystma is a terrific book

The Reeds said...

Thanks for sharing! I don't have much time to read. :/ I did enjoy "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" by Donald S. Whitney