Monday, June 20, 2011

Words of the father - Father's Day 2011

“Bella, I love you now. And I will always love you. And I will love you beyond that.”

I heard these words from the living room where Mike and Bella were playing while I was washing dishes a couple of days ago.
I heard these words knowing they were being spoken in truth from a father who is crazy about his kids.
I heard these words knowing that my children will know what it means to be loved unconditionally on this side of heaven.

I heard these words knowing that my little girl would understand what it truly means to be cherished and loved and honored and respected.
I heard these words knowing that they come from the man that selflessly rocks our son to sleep.
I heard these words knowing they came from the heart of a father.
I heard these words knowing that they come from my husband who loves fiercely and deeply and seeks the One who gave him that love.
I heard these words knowing that they came from the same mouth that tightly holds that little girl when she is scared or the little boy when he is crying from getting shots that day.
I heard these words from the man that teaches our children grace and mercy and safety.
I heard these words from the father who has changed more diapers than I have.
I heard these words from the man that these two cuties look just like!
I heard these words knowing he feels the same way about me.

I heard these words in my living room and then I heard them in my heart – gently, softly, fiercely – from another Father. Thank you, Mike, for the reminder and example.

Happy Father’s Day, Mike!

No comments: