Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rosalynn Carter Institute

Last Wednesday, my boss and I flew to Americus, Georgia to present our Scott & White Family Caregiver Program at the National Rosalynn Carter Institute (RCI) for Caregiving Conference. (Can I just say how great it is to work for a boss that is brilliant, fun, and is a friend! I didn't think I would have that again after my rockstar boss in South Carolina, Swann Adams - who continues to be a mentor and great friend to me). Alan presented in the morning and I presented in the afternoon along with Richard McGhee, the director of the community partner - Aging and Disability Resource Center. Wednesday night we attended a welcoming reception at a beautiful HUGE historic home. While we were there Alan introduced me to a man who is the medical director of corporate communications for Johnson and Johnson and works in Latin America. (RCI and J&J funded the Family Caregiver Program). I asked him if he knew of Dr. Paul Farmer and Partners in Health in Haiti (Dr. Farmer is one of my biggest heroes). Dr. Martinez smirked and said "yes, we work with him and know him"...which I proceeded to say "ooohhh, i've read his dissertation, all his books....". The rest of the time we were able to discuss schools of public health and his connections to Johns Hopkins and Harvard (yes, I was excited!). Then, Mrs. Carter came in and we met her. All in all, the weekend was wonderful! It got better when we went to the Gala the final night. Alan and our program ended up winning the Rosalynn Carter Leadership in Caregiving Award is the highest award given in the caregiving field. And, I couldn't be happier for him and Richard!! Enjoy some pictures of our time there.

Richard and I presented and then participated in a panel discussion for the participants...we look serious don't we!

Mrs. Carter and I - She said "Did you know I used to be a 'Smith'?" - yes, we connected! I hope I am that gracious, beautiful, and poised when I am 82 years old.
Louis and I in an old phone at our hotel. (It was a neat old, historic hotel)
Louis and I at the reception.
Alan and I with the beautiful award!
The "official" press release picture...which makes me laugh since all of us are looking different directions and have different facial expressions...oh well. Disregard the fact that I am faking that smile...I was really nervous!


Pictured (l to r): Alan Stevens, PhD, Director, Scott & White Program on Aging and Care, Temple, Texas; Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter; Emily Smith, MSPH, CCRC, Family Caregiver Program Director, Scott & White Healthcare, Temple, Texas; H. Richard McGhee, Director, Central Texas AAA, Belton, Texas.

While I was gone we called in the most qualified reinforcements to watch Bella while I was gone and Mike was at school. Thank you Grammy! I flew in on her birthday and was so excited to see her...can you tell!


1 comment:

ashley said...

looks like it was such a great trip. you are so wonderfully smart and intelligent and I am proud of you and your team's award! and happy birthday to miss b!