Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beach trip and sacred holiness

We recently went on a beach trip to see Mrs. Cathy. It was the first time the kids had seen the ocean so we were so excited about it. I might have been more excited that Bella was.  The first morning we were there, Bella and I headed to the beach while JT, Mike, and Mrs. Cathy stayed for JT's nap.  Bella ran from the car towards the water saying, "I'm so excited" and I dropped most of the things I was carrying just to run after her.  She is fearless, y'all!  She promptly set to work building a sand castle.
 Our beach beauty!  Then it was off to the water! She ran right in and kept going and going and going.  She even got splashed pretty hard by the waves. But, she simply wiped the water off her face and went again.  I was holding onto her for dear life because she kept wanting to go further in.  I am loving her carefree, fearless spirit.  Just not when there are lots of waves around. =) 



When Mike came to join us in the water, she ran to him, gave him a big hug, and said, "Daddy, I love you".  Then she would jump back in the water.  She would come to me next, tell me the same thing, and then jump back in the water.  Y'all, she was a happy camper! 

 And, little Muscle Man decided to join us at the beach when he got up from his nap. Mrs. Cathy was holding him as she walked up to the water...here's his reaction to her putting her toes in...LOTS of screaming.  Poor guy did not like the waves!
 Uhm, now he's checking it out.  But if she moved he would scream again.
 We sure do love Mrs. Cathy. She took Bella on a seashell collecting adventure.
 And, stayed with Muscle Man while he ate a banana and crackers and anything else we would give him. ha!  Growing boy!
 Daddy had to take Bella in too.  I LOVE these pictures.  I have some great memories of going to the Pacific Ocean with my dad.  So, I know she'll treasure these.




 Big waves!

Here's some more pictures of me and my gal.




 We had sand everywhere - but it was so worth it!

 I love these memories.  Not a care in the world except for running in the water.


 I then decided to try to take JT in the water. 

 Here's how he responded.
 That's ok with me though! I'll take cuddles anytime I can get it.
 I love this picture because Jonathan was NOT letting go of me.  And Bella was running all over the place splashing and jumping and being completely fearless!
 Sweet Daddy was trying to get JT ok with the water too.  Here's what he did though.  So stinkin' cute!  I'm partial to red heads and I think these two are pretty a-ok!

 Little man was tuckered out at the end of the trip and fell fast asleep on Daddy. 
 Muscle Man FINALLY got into some sort of water.  But, he had to inch his way in from Mrs. Cathy's lap.  He kept sliding down and would kick his legs in the water and eventually got it.  Little cutie!

 He also learned to put the top of the water bottle this weekend.
 And, we're still playing ball.


 Look at that full diaper!




 I love this next series of pictures with Mrs. Cathy.  They sure are special to one another!






 Doing fish kisses with Mrs. Cathy.




The final morning before we left, Bella and I went to the beach together again.  I ran in the water with her, we made more sand castles, we laid in the sand, we ran away from the waves, and then just sat together.  I watched her build her sand castles and collect shells and smile and was caught up in thankfulness.  It's one of those moments as a mother that you want time to stop and you hope your mind will simply capture the memory of the moment.  It's one of those moments as a mother than you catch yourself being overwhelmed with thankfulness at the precious gift of a child.  It's one of those moments you realize that sometimes the sacredness and the holiness of God are not found in a building on a Sunday morning or in bible studies or rituals.  It's wrapped up in a little 3 year old's laughter as she builds a sand castle.  It was something about the roar of the waves that made everything else drown out except the moment.  And, in that moment, in the laughter, in the sand, in my daughter's smile was a snapshot of sacred holiness.

No comments: