Friday, May 9, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

I still can't believe I'm a mom. I can't believe I can say the words "children". And, I really can't believe I love it. I know I've written about this before but I did not grow up wanting to be a mom. I didn't stuff a pillow under my shirt and pretend I'm pregnant while other kids were playing dress-up. I think I was reading or working on my science project. Y'all, I was rockin' the nerd status! I didn't already know how many kids I wanted when I got married and sometimes I wasn't even sure I was going to have any. In college, before the I-fell-in-love-with-a-red-headed-gentleman-named-Mike-Smith, my plan was to get my MD/PhD, start my research career, work overseas, get married in my 30s...and that's about as far as I made it with my dreams,

But, I'm so glad a little someone above (ok, just kidding y'all...He's kindof huge right?) interrupted my plans in a big way. Not only did I get married in my early 20s and had no idea what I was doing or where I was going or where we were going as a young married couple, I had my children in my late 20s. And I am overwhelmed with thanksgiving for these two precious gifts this Mother's Day.

Now, I'm in my early 30s with two kids in tow and married to that gentleman I mentioned earlier. I didn't go to medical school, although I did try and took the MCAT. Planning a wedding and falling in love interrupted those plans - and I'm so glad they did! I'm now working on my research career in international settings. So it's kindof-sortof-not really like what I thought it would be. But I'm so thankful my plans have been interrupted by love. First, love from my incredible husband who points me toward grace and the Grace-Giver. Then, love from my children and for my children. These interruptions deepen and steady my life.

So, to my children, thank you for making me a mom and for teaching me how to be a mom. Thank you that my heart swells at how much I love you both. You are both loved beyond words!

The first 2 pics are Bella and the next 3 are JT's. These are special days!





















Here's some fun links from Mother's day in the past few years!
2010 Mother's Day
2011 Mother's Day
2012 Mother's Day
2013 Mother's Day

No comments: